Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bite-Size Walnut Cacao Brownies

Bite-Size Walnut Cacao Brownies
A combination of thing has kept me out of the kitchen for a few days, but I'm back now with the urge to bake today, so I just whipped up some of my favorite GF brownies.

I have made these in the past, but couldn't figure out how to get the best product from the recipe.  The original recipe says to bake for 45 to 50 minutes, but that was wayyyyyy to long and they were hard as a rock on the edges, but pretty good in the middle.  I had to soak the pan for hours.  Next, I tried them as a cookie and the batter was a little runny which made them spread too much in the pan.  The flavor was good, but the product wasn't consistent in size and shape.  The next time, I poured the batter into a piping bag and made little circle cookies, but it made too many and I still wasn't satisfied with the texture, size and shape.  They also felt a little oily when stored and I had to put parchment paper between them.  This time, I got it exactly how I wanted it.  I still used the piping bag, but decided to use one of my many silicone molds.  This way, they are all the same size, shape and texture and the consistency is the same throughout the entire batch.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to baking and go through a few extra steps that most recipes don't mention.  For instance, I always sift my dry ingredients and I always stir in only one direction to get a lighter, fluffier batter.  Also, unless you're making a big, fluffy biscuit or pie dough with ice cold butter, all ingredients should be the same temperature.  If you have a recipe that calls for eggs, get them out first to allow them to come to room temperature.  If you need to separate eggs, do it when they're cold. They will separate easier and you will have less of a chance of the yolk breaking into the whites of the eggs.  I'm also a stickler for having all my ingredients and tools ready before I start mixing.  That way, I don't put myself in a situation of being halfway done and find I'm missing an ingredient. I've been there and, frankly, that sucks!   One of the things I learned at the French Pastry School is to pre-heat the oven 25 degrees higher that you plan to bake.  For instance, if your recipe says to bake in a 300 degree oven, pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and turn it down to 300 degrees when you put the item in the oven.  The theory behind that is when you open the oven door, you will lose some heat and this way, you have compensated for that loss.  Just don't forget to turn the temperature back down!  To keep the mess to a minimum, I use a rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment paper for all of my ingredients.  That way, if I spill something, the cleanup is much easier and quicker.

Ok, let's bake…

Necessary Tools...
2 Rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper on them 
Silicone baking mold
Kitchen scale to weigh ingredients or measuring spoons and measuring cups
Medium size bowl
Silicone spatula
Food processor for walnut meal
Piping bag and scissors to cut the tip off
Fine mesh strainer for sifting dry ingredients
Sifting Cacao Powder, Arrowroot and Salt
Weighed ingredients and tools ready for use
Silicone mold on rimmed baking sheet ready for the oven
Ingredients:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (turn down to 300 when putting brownies in the oven)

     1/2 cup organic walnuts (50 grams) - I use Woodstock brand
     
6 tablespoons organic cacao powder (30 grams) - I use Mayan Superfood Navitas
     1/4 cup arrowroot (32 grams) - I use Bob's Red Mill
     1/4 teaspoon sea salt (1.4 grams)
     3/4 cup organic cane sugar (150 grams)
     1 large egg (50 grams)
     1/4 cup walnut oil (55 grams)
     1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (6 grams) - I use Neilsen Massey Madagascar
     

Prep:
  • Put the walnuts in the food processor and pulse until finely ground into walnut "meal". Being careful not to over grind the walnuts into walnut butter.
  • Sift the cacao powder, arrowroot and salt into medium size bowl
  • Add walnut meal and sugar to cacao power and arrowroot mixture
  • Add egg, walnut oil and vanilla bean paste to dry ingredients and stir until combined
  • Carefully pour brownie mixture into piping bag
  • Place silicone mold on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
  • Pipe brownie mixture into silicone mold filling each hole to the top since brownies will not rise during baking
  • Place in pre-heated oven and bake at 300 degrees for 18-22 minutes. Brownies should be solid in the middle and toothpick inserted in the middle should only have a few crumbs when removed
  • Let cool in mold on baking rack for 30 minutes before serving
    Baked Brownies
    Bite-Size Walnut Cacao Brownie Nutritional Information
    Enjoy Bite-Size Walnut Cacao Brownies
    If you have molds or baking sheets that have been previously used with products containing gluten, be sure to clean in dishwasher or in hot soapy water before using for gluten free baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment