Monday, August 11, 2014

Apple & Onion Chicken Burger

Apple & Onion Chicken Burger
I think I have stated before that I really don't like chicken.  However, it is a staple in my diet and I have to find ways to make it not so boring.  When I was eating gluten, I would top this with bacon and jalapeño jack cheese and serve on a bun.   If members of your family don't have gluten issues or you can eat gluten-free hamburger buns, I would still recommend that.

I have allergy issues and don't tolerate Xanthan gum (a staple in most gluten-free baked goods) so my alternative to the bun is to serve it on a bed of creamy, mashed potatoes, tomato slices and a vegetable It's a wonder change from the everyday grilled or roasted chicken and the apple adds just a little sweetness.

This is a burger that requires being fried because the chicken, apple mixture is too sticky for the grill.  I would recommend if you don't have a splatter screen for your frying pan that you purchase one. I didn't realize how much of a mess I was making in the kitchen until I got one a few months ago.  OXO has a really good one that is durable and has a folding handle for storage. It's about $20 at Sur La Table.

Necessary Tools...
Large frying pan (I use Lodge cast iron)
Mixing bowl
Cheese grater
Sharp knife
Cutting Board
Spatula
Measuring spoons (1/4, 1/2 tsp and 1 tbsp)
Splatter screen (if you have one)


Ingredients…Makes 4 servings
     1 pound ground chicken
     1 gala apple (grated)
     1/2 yellow onion (diced)

     1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
     1/2 tsp cinnamon
     1/4 tsp nutmeg
     Salt and pepper to taste
     2 tbsp olive oil

Prep...
  • Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a bowl and mix well
  • Divide mixture into 4 patties
  • Heat frying pan on high heat and add oil
  • When the oil is heated, add the burger patties and reduce heat to medium
  • Cook burgers for about 5 minutes per side until well done and no pink is in the center
  • Remove from heat and let stand 3-5 minutes before serving
    Apple & Onion Chicken Burger






No comments:

Post a Comment