Monday, July 21, 2014

The Dinner Plan

Dear Friends,

The Gluten Free Dinner Diary is my attempt to share with you the life of eating gluten free.  I am gluten free out of necessity and do not like to be cross contaminated.  I think the only gluten products in my home right now are the sandwich breads, crackers and beer my husband has.  There are also a few baking products, but everything else is clean.

I grew up in an Italian household and love pizza, macaroni and bread.  I also live in Chicago and struggle with finding good restaurants that will accommodate my diet.  I have an intolerance to garlic and foods that contain histamine.  However, I love to cook!

I started an online bakery last year specializing in scones.  Since becoming gluten free, I have had to let the scone part of the business go.  I haven't decided what to replace the with, but test different recipes weekly.  I can't do a gluten free scone, because gluten free breads need a product called Xanthan Gum. Unfortunately, Xantan Gum is yet another food product I have an intolerance to.

Due to my food intolerances, you will find I cook many dishes from scratch.  It's not too hard if you know the tricks.  Luckily, I have a lot of tricks up my sleeves and wish to share them with you over the next 365 days.   There will be nights we order out and I will share that with you, but on those days, I will try to bake something new and different or create something special from the farmer's market.

If you live in the Chicago area, or plan to visit, I can tell you which restaurants I have found that are happy to please a gluten free customer.

I hope this blog brings you lots of information if you have a friend or family member that is looking for a good gluten free diet.  If you have any suggestions or questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Gluten Free Dinner doesn't have to be hard!

Lets get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment